Sunday, March 8, 2009

I start tomorrow!

Tomorrow is my first day of lectures. How do I feel? Nervous, prepared, confident, a bit apprehensive. I've done the readings and printed what lecture notes I can. One of the topics has an error appearing regarding something about Acrobat not loading, but I'll sort it out tomorrow. I have sorted out my study timetable, though I already have a feeling that I won't be in bed most nights before 11pm, if not midnight. There is so much reading and processing of information, especially for the A&P unit. We'll see how it pans out. I promise to share my joy and distress at the workloads LOL.

Last week was O-Week, or Week Zero, or in laymans terms, orientation week. I went for the first two days, did the tours, had my uniform fitting (thankfully they are only for placements and not every day wear, they aren't the best looking shirts), worked out the important stuff- where the cafe is, where the library is, that the computers are USB friendly, started the vaxxing process, found where the toilets are, where parking is easy and where the shady spots for lunch are. I met another mature age nurse/midder who is lovely. Funnily enough her parents know my in-laws, so we sort of have a 6th degree of seperation thing happening. Not hard in Geelong.. There are a few others who are mature age that I spotted, I'm really looking forward to getting to know them over the next few months. The fresh school leavers, I'll reserve my judgement on them, till they appear in the 2nd year, in case they drop out of the course when they realise that midwifery isn't all about looking at perfectly round pregnant bellies and cuddling clean and sleepy babies.

I have a sick baby today, who has been vomitting and leaving snot trails everywhere. I'm trying not to imagine myself into being sick, I just can't be a puking sneezing mess for my first day! Thankfully my husband is home tomorrow for the Labour Day public holiday, as I can't send my little one to daycare being sick as he is, though they are closed anyway for the holiday.

Anyway, time to go and get dinner sorted and relax until I think it is time for bed. I really should go to bed early, get a good nights sleep, especially if I'm going to have a child disturbing my sleep like last night..

I promise to report in about my first week, each night. Though I may be quite monosyllabic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment